If you have zoysia grass in your lawn, you know that it’s drought-tolerant and can take some wear and tear. But do you know how much you need to mow your lawn if it contains zoysia grass? Do you know how often? Is it the same amount and frequency needed throughout the entire year?
Your Highland Village lawn care provider recommends these zoysia grass mowing tips for your Texas lawn:
1. We’re now in June, so from now until August, your zoysia grass lawn should be mowed at a height of 1—2” if it gets full sun. If your zoysia lawn is under shade, it should be mowed slightly higher. At this point, you or your Highland Village lawn care professional, such as Main Street Mowing, should be mowing your lawn every five to seven days.
2. Starting in September through November, your lawn should be mowed at ¾”—2”. You should raise your mower height as we get closer to November since your yard will start to go dormant. And you don’t need to mow a dormant lawn.
3. In December, you won’t be mowing at all. Just make sure that we mow your newly overseeded zoysia grass lawn when it reaches an inch in height. Your newly overseeded lawn needs to be mowed before it goes dormant. If it’s allowed to grow to 1½” or more, your yard’s at risk for lawn diseases in the spring.
4. From December through late February, you can take a break from your lawn mowing chores because your lawn is “hibernating” for the winter.
5. Starting again in late February through early March, you’ll want to call us to scalp your lawn and then to set up a regular mowing schedule again to start the spring growing season.
By properly mowing your zoysia lawn, you’ll keep your Highland Village yard healthy with less thatch problems and a lower risk for grass diseases.
Are you looking for a mowing service that’ll take care of your zoysia lawn throughout the year? We provide Highland Village lawn care services to Flower Mound and Lewisville properties too. Call us today to make your appointment at 214-317-8301 or chat with us, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Main Street Mowing.